This is my favorite bagel recipe.
There are many different varieties of bagel recipes.
Some contain oil and some don't.
Some contain a lot of sugar and some don't.
Here is the recipe and pics that show how to make bagel shape.
RECIPE (for 3 bagels)
'AP flour 180g (6.3oz)
'salt 1/2 teaspoon
'Instant dry yeast 1/2 teaspoon (I use fermipan or saf)
'brown sugar 1 tablespoon
'water 100g (3.5oz)
('malt syrup or brown sugar for kettling 1 tablespoon)
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Knead for 5minutes. Cover and wait fir 10 minutes.
3. Devide the dough into 3 balls. Cover and wait for 15minutes .
4. Follow the pictures and shape the dough.
5. Let them rise for 40minutes at room temperature or until the dough look loosen.
(prepare for kettling. Boil water and put some sugar or malt syrup in a large pan. Pan does not need to be very deep.)
(preheat oven 400°F)
6. Kettle each dough for 1 minute each side.
7. Put them on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 400°F oven.
☆ Some people put 50% (in bakers' %) water but I prefer to put about 60% water.
☆ You can use bread flour but I think AP flour makes good bagels. These bagels have nicely chewy and somewhat soft crumb.
♪ bake at your own risk ♪♪